COVENANTS AND DEED RESTRICTIONS IN HILLSMERE SHORES
The following covenants and deed restrictions control and limit the use of all residential lots in Hillsmere. Recorded among the Land Record of Anne Arundel County, Maryland in Liber 900, Folio 334, they are binding as a matter of law and are for the benefit of all other lot owners in Hillsmere.
- Hillsmere Shores Improvement Association, Inc., has the right to use an easement over a strip of land five (5) feet in width along the rear line of each of the lots as shown on the plats of Hillsmere for the purpose of laying, erecting, maintaining, repairing pipes, poles, wires, conduits, and other material and equipment for gas, water, electric light, power, telephone, telegraph, sewerage, and other public or community service and utility.
- No building or other structure may be erected, converted, permitted, maintained or operated for any other purpose than residential, and no business of any kind shall be permitted except by special permission of HSIA, and then must be in a specially designated area.
- The Building Committee of HSIA must approve the exterior plan and construction or any alterations of any building and the position of the building on the lot. No construction shall commence without first having a permit issued by the HSIA Building Committee. No building shall be more than 2½ stories in height. No fence, sign, billboard or advertising matter of any kind may be placed upon any lot without the approval of HSIA.
- No building, or part thereof, except as hereinafter provided, shall be erected or maintained on any part of any lot, as shown on the plats of Hillsmere, closer than thirty (30) feet to any road, street, or highway thirty (30) feet or more in width on which the plot upon which the building is erected fronts. No building or any part thereof erected shall be closer than fifteen (15) feet from the division line of any lot, and only one building for private residential purposes shall be erected on each lot. HSIA has the right to approve deviation from these distances if the contour or shape of a lot will not permit compliance with these restrictions.
- No privy, cesspool, vault or any other form of privy, except sewage systems as approved by HSIA, and no toilets or bath houses shall be erected on the property except in such as shall be built in or attached to either the main dwelling or garage and shall be constructed in compliance with the Health Department Regulations and may not drain into the tide waters of the South River or any pond, creek, or lake.
- No lake, pond, park, playground, wharf, pier or community beach shall be construed by these covenants, restrictions and conditions as dedicated to the public.
- No tent or other structure or trailer intended for temporary or permanent living quarters shall be permitted.
- No animals shall be kept or housed on any lot or in any building situated on any lot in numbers, that in the opinion of HSIA, may be considered obnoxious to the health, peace and quiet of any purchaser in Hillsmere or HSIA.
- No waterfront property owner may erect any fence, piers, wharfs, or any other obstructions to water rights without obtaining written permission of HSIA.
- All covenants, restrictions and conditions are to run with the land and are to be expressly recited by reference in all future conveyances. A majority of owners of the lots may amend, cancel, annul or obligate any and all of the covenants, restrictions or conditions by a written, duly executed instrument properly recorded among the Land Records of Anne Arundel County.
- Any violation of any of the foregoing conditions, covenants and restrictions shall be a breach, and HSIA or any purchaser may exercise their rights in any Court of Record against said violation.
**** End of Covenants & Deed Restrictions ****
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Except as otherwise authorized by the Hillsmere Shores Improvement Association (“HSIA”) Board of Directors (“Board”), the use of HSIA Community property and facilities (including the Beach, Marina, Sand Spit, Boat Ramps, Boat Park, Kayak Racks, Community Center and Pool) is restricted to Hillsmere Shores property owners and residents only, and their accompanied guests. Guests must be accompanied by host residents at all times during use of Community property and facilities.
- “Resident” means a person whose permanent legal home is in Hillsmere, as evidenced by Hillsmere Shores property ownership, or leasehold interest or rental agreement in Hillsmere Shores property of no less than 6 months duration. Government-issued ID cards and utility bills showing a Hillsmere Shores address may serve to demonstrate intent of establishing a permanent legal home. “Resident” does not include lodgers, boarders, or temporary renters of Hillsmere Shores property.
- General Rules:
- No picnicking or building fires on the beach.
- No dogs allowed on the beach or in the bathing area.
- No beverages in glass containers in the beach.
- No tents at the beach.
- No swimming or bathing on Community property after sunset.
- Community beach closes at sunset.
- No littering of beach or Community property. All trash and debris must be disposed of in the proper manner.
- No signs can be erected or placed on Community property without the approval of HSIA Board, and can only be erected on places designated by the HSIA Board.
- Lids must be provided, and must be kept tight on all trash cans at all times.
- Trash cans must be removed from road within 24 hours after collection.
- Builders must provide cans at building site for trash created by workers at the building site.
- Weeds on any lot in Hillsmere Shores must be cut at least once during the growing season, preferably before going to seed.
- No animals shall be kept on any lot or in any building situated on any lot in numbers that in the opinion of the HSIA Board may be considered obnoxious to the health, peace and quiet of residents. No ponies, goats, sheep, cows or other farm animals shall be kept or housed on any lot in Hillsmere Shores.
- No fire arms are to be discharged in Hillsmere Shores.
- No commercial vehicle shall park overnight on Hillsmere Shores roads. Parking of commercial vehicles is permitted on private property.
- No overnight parking of vehicles on Hillsmere Drive.
- Approval must be obtained from HSIA Board for group activity at picnic and beach areas.
- The speed limit on all roads in Hillsmere Shores is 25 miles per hour.
- It is unlawful to remove stakes marking road curbs or storm water drains for snow removal purposes.
- No snow shall be shoveled onto roads, causing a traffic hazard.
- All bicycles must have proper lights after sundown on roads in Hillsmere Shores.
- Political signs supporting or opposing candidates for public office or ballot questions may be placed on privately owned lots by the property owner or resident for up to 30 days before or 7 days after a public election. The signs must be no greater than 2 by 3 feet or equivalent area. Political signs may not be placed on HSIA Community property.